Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Where my dogs at?

No dogs today! Julie and I are still in the final stages of getting Brooklyn Dog Runners up and ...well, running, so to speak. Julie's working on the website and fliers, I've gotten us bonded and insured and I think we are days away from beginning to book appointments. In the meantime I'm still running, just without any pups today at least. November 22nd I'll be running the Philadelphia Marathon so I've got work to do. Sunday I completed an amazing long run crossing both the Williamsburg and the Brooklyn bridge, cruising around Fort Greene Park and finally getting a little turned around in Carroll Gardens. The weather was great and the 15 miles somehow seemed to fly by. Monday was my day of rest and now, today I am back on the streets for a four mile run. I did one of my favorite old stand-bys, across the Williamsburg bridge and back via Broadway.



From Montrose Avenue in Williamsburg, I head west towards Broadway and make a right. The sidewalks here can be bustling but for the most part they are wide and give ample room for dodging and darting around fellow pedestrians.


Continuing along Broadway, I pass the bus terminal on the right and then a little further up, Peter Luger's on the left.

At Bedford I turn right and begin the ascent of the bridge. This walkway over the bridge is on the south side and much steeper then the north side of the bridge. I usually keep my head down and try and pretend it's not hill at all when climbing hills. This technique works well for me but it's not the best idea when in a narrow, caged-in walkway. I make sure to keep my eyes up and pay attention for oncoming traffic.

Serendipitously, I saw a young guy running his dog, (some sort of a Rottweiler mix) across the bridge. Whenever I see a dog running I smile because they look like they are having so much fun. I've always felt that being a dog runner is one of the best jobs in the world because your clients are so happy to see you. Today's run was great and I'm looking forward to upcoming weeks when I'm no longer at it alone but have a few dog friends to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment