Monday, September 21, 2009

A Running Fool Makes a New Friend

Sunday morning I woke up dark and early (to the tune of 4:15am), ate my peanut butter toast, strapped on my Nikes and set out for the G train to begin my journey to College Point, Queens. Why in god's name would I do such a thing? Well, the Queens half marathon tied in with my commitment to run 9 New York Road Runners races by the end of the year and gain automatic entry to New York City ING Marathon 2010. I feel like this is a pretty good reason but my body definitely felt otherwise. Here is a self photograph that conveys my emotions, taken that morning. I know, gorgeous right?
The thing about running is that somedays the old legs are just not in the mood. Sometimes, you just don't feel like it. Sunday was this type of a day for me but, I had no choice. I kept my head down and powered through finishing in just under 2 hours, not bad. From the finish line I called a car and headed back to home sweet Brooklyn where I found out someone did not show up to the Willburg Cafe (where I work) and they would need me to come in early. Sweet! Immediately, I showered and ran down the street to have my apron on and a stack of dirty dishes in my hands by 10:30am. Running a waitress short, we hustled around until 4pm, at which time I ran home and then around the corner to meet a new pup, Gracie. After a test drive last night, Gracie and I went on our first official run today.
What an athlete! We did a loop (about 2.8 miles) from Meserole and Union down to McCarren Park and then came back on Lorimer. The weather was gorgeous, Gracie was in a chipper mood and although today was meant to be my running day off, I was grateful for the relief a short run brought to my sore body. Still a bit of a puppy, Miss Gracie is easily distracted by squirrels (who doesn't love a squirrel) but other then that a focused and enthusiastic runner. It was an excellent start to a big running week for me. I have a few dogs lined up and, on my own training schedule, a 17 mile run this Sunday. I can't wait. Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment