Friday, June 11, 2010

My busted ankle inspires pet first aid 101


Thank you to everyone for all the good wishes! This note totally made my day! :)

A recent brush with the side walk at Cooper Park has forced me to take a break from running the dogs for a while. Getting a little bored hanging on my couch with Mylo, I was inspired to read up on my animal first aid.

Mandy and I were both certified with the Red Cross of NYC in Dog and Cat First Aid back in October, which was not only informative but a lot of fun as you can probably tell from Mandy's earlier post. As with most things in life, being prepared is half the battle.

The American Red Cross Dog and Cat First Aid book is a must have for any pet owner! It is well written, has a really good index and great photos.

The Red Cross has a list of what you should include in your Pet first aid kit. I assembled mine by myself but you can also buy a pre-packaged dog first aid kit from almost any pet store. You can also ask your vet for a list of what should be in your kit.

Here is a list of some important info that I tapped to my fridge, in my phone and with Mylo's medical records in case of an emergency.

Williamsburg Animal Clinic 760 Grand St. Brooklyn, NY 11206 (718) 302-2420

Dr. Orlando Diaz

If anyone is looking for a Vet in Williamsburg, I really love Dr. Diaz. He is great with my dog and I know a lot of our clients take their dogs to him too!

Veterinary Emergency Referral Group (open 24 hours)
318 Warren Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Phone: (718) 522-9400

Animal Poison Control
(888) 426-4435

Ambuvet

1-800-262-8838

Which is a pet ambulance. They estimate a 25 minute arrival time within Manhattan and a 35 minute arrival time in the outer boroughs, but since they cannot use a siren and cut traffic like a ambulance for people, arrival times cannot be guaranteed. They can give a more accurate estimate when you call and are forthright with their availability.

NYC American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty Against Animals (ASPCA)
212-876-7700

Humane Society of New York
212-752-4842

The Red Cross of Greater NY

http://www.nyredcross.org/?nd=home

information on first aid classes, first aid kit checklist and other valuable articles about keeping your pooch safe.

Emergency info for NYC Pets (this website has a lot of really useful information)

http://www.squidoo.com/nycpetemergency

Enough for now...time to Ice and elevate!

No comments:

Post a Comment